Thursday, November 22, 2012

Matisse Contest at Spoonflower

I love Henri Matisse's artwork.  When I was in college for my senior jury I did a one woman monologue called Darleen Dances by Betsy Robinson, and for that piece found inspiration in the artwork of Matisse's painting called The Dance.  It has always been a favorite of mine.  There is so much movement in his style and vivid colors that to me it's mesmerizing. 

For this week's contest Spoonflower is partnering with the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University.  They have asked us to design textiles that would look at home in a Matisse painting.   The top ten designs will be featured at a First Thursday and Art for All events at the Nasher Museum on Thursday, December 6, 2012.  We were also given a specified color palette.  Here is my design for the contest.




In my own interpretation of Matisse's style I chose to create movement through dancing stars, flying birds and falling petals.  Thus came the title for this design She Loves Me She Loves Me Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment